Thursday, November 6, 2008

May just be a coincidence but...

Okay, okay, we’re trying not to make too much of it but…
Last night, just 24 hours after the transfusion, we did have, well not miraculous, but very surprising development.

This past summer, Noa suddenly stopped babbling. It was pretty devastating for us. Of course she has learned a lot of signs since then, and she does a great job of communicating that way. She did eventually start making a few sounds, but it was nothing like what had been doing before. The biggest loss seemed to be the sounds “ma ma ma ma” and “b-b-b-b-b” and combinations like “mama-ba.”

We’ve been trying to get them back. We even have old tapes of her saying ma ma ma ma and b-b-b-b-b and we play them for her nearly every day. She has always seemed interested, but has never responded… until last night… well, here, see for yourself:

3 comments:

Paula said...

I was talking to someone recently about those sounds - I think it was Chris - and there is a theory that the mmmmm is the root of the word "Mom" - it seems to be across languages of all different origins. You just made me think of it. I feel like watching the video's and looking at the pictures I'm getting a better handle on her signs. It's taking me a lot longer to learn them then it took her.

Spleen said...

So happy to hear the sounds...and that you survived the IV....what happy news! I learned so much from your last post...it is fascinating, and scary - and I am so glad you were able to do this....

Jane said...

MMMMMMMMMMMM-azing! So great to see the clip! Noa is fantastic, regardless of what those stem cells might be contributing. Keep on posting.