Monday, November 24, 2008

Been trying not to make too much of it...

People ask me all the time, "Did it work? Did it work?" And I have to say that there is no way to know, and that even if there were, the doctors say it would be more like 6-12 months before we'd see anything really really. And I've tried to stick with what. BUT I have to say that over the past few weeks since we've been home, we've just seen so much (and when I say we, I'm including everyone most everyone who works with Noa).

It's not huge things (although to us they are huge), there is just such a preponderance of seemingly small things that it becomes hard to make the case that they are all just coincidence. The the video below is an excellent example. In it Noa demonstrates:

1. The twisted Gregorian Chant singing that I mentioned in the previous post, which now goes on all day (and sometimes in the middle of the night, yeah, great) and includes many sounds we haven't heard before, most markedly the open sounding vowel sounds.

2. She reaches over the piggy bank and without a beat stands it upright so she put the coins in (it used to be that she would try to use a toy that standing wrong-side up, decide that it must be broken and then throw it).

3. She figures out how to put on her jingle hat. Especially interesting is the time and focus she puts into figuring out how the hat works. Again, a few weeks ago she just would not have even taken the time to investigate this. This one really impressed me.

In other news, we took Noa to her doctor as Rusk Institute on Friday - now that she is doing so much standing, her feet has spread more and she has suddenly out-grown her braces for her feet and I needed to get a new rx. The doctor was very impressed with Noa. She said that she was markedly more flexible (she has always been what they call high-tone, in other words really really really not flexible and very tight in the legs and feet). For the first time, she didn't insist on a hip x-ray because her walking and standing were so solid. All great news!

Noa's cousins from Australia, Levi and Eli, arrived this weekend (oh, yeah, with their parents Izzy and Duane), and Noa was been very intersted in Levi, who is just a little older than her. Last night at dinner she kept reaching over to touch him. She was a little less open to him reaching over to hold her hand. In fact, she even signed for him to "stop." But soon she was leaning in his general direction again.

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. As you can imagine - we feel very thankful this year!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are nice tones from a vibrational standpoint. They evoke for me body strengthening, body centeredness and hyper-awareness. Sounds good Noa!!!

jenidog said...

Thanks Rick! You know, I'm gonna go with that!

Paula said...

Wow! Amazing! I can't imagine how satisfying in must be for Noa to be able to figure things like this out for herself.