Okay, so I've been a bit MIA here on the Land of Noa - I've been taking video, just not getting around to posting them so this is the first in a series of posts (4 in all I think) - and this, I think is the most amazing one.
We've tried to get back into the CVI therapy at home, but Noa really had lost interest in the blocks (she just likes to throw them) - and she really wasn't interested in trying to match things of the same color (which was the next task that had been laid out before us). The concept of color just wasn't working for her. She actually knows the signs for red and blue... but they're just signs so far. So we'd kind of reached an impasse in terms of her willingness to play along. THEN I had an idea...
Noa loves shapes. What if - instead of asking her to find blocks, we were asking her to find shapes? We had some shapes from a puzzle (that she never really liked) so I put them on the table and asked her to find the shapes and.... well, check it out!
There are some times where maybe she felt the blocks, but there are also clearly times where she puts her hand right on them when I ask her to. I have some other videos of this - but this was the best video even though there are some times where maybe she was feeling them. And that's kind of how CVI therapy is anyway. It's not all perfect all the time.
We did this for a while and I try to use the color words for the blocks sometimes, so that we're can start working on that concept - but sometimes it only confuses her. (I know what a square is, but I don't know what a blue-square is.)
The cool thing is that I was able to follow this with working with the blocks for a bit. We worked on putting blue blocks in a blue bin and red blocks in a red bin - focusing on the idea that the colors were the same. She had some success with this and practiced holding the blocks up to her face so "see" them. I think that kind of worked. I got some video of that which will probably be my next post.
No comments:
Post a Comment