Sunday, May 23, 2010

Fun with Eddie

Finally a video of Noa swimming with her new friend Eddie. We were matched with this great program through Rusk Institute where Noa does physical therapy - the program, at Asphalt Green (around 90th and York), offers private swim lessons for kids with disabilities. We really lucked out with Eddie. The first session with him, Noa was a bit shy and we could see that Eddie was a bit stumped by a kid who can't see or talk (and who communicates with sign language, which he doesn't understand). But week two it was clear that he'd thought about solutions and/or talked to people or something - and he came in prepared and open to following Noa's lead (which always works for Noa).

This is lesson number 5, and Ben doesn't even get in the pool with them any more. Noa loves Eddie and they've found a level of communication. You can see, he's working with Noa on some swim moves, but in the middle lets her do a jump into the pool - which makes her happy. The sign she is doing on the side of the pool is: Daddy Play. I think she just calls him Daddy because he's a strong guy. She likes strong guys because they can throw her in the air, so yeah, she likes Eddie a lot.

As I'm sure it quite apparent from this video, Noa loves to be in the water. Its really one of her favorite things to do.

In other news - I leave for Ohio on Wednesday, then come back Sunday only to fly off again on Tuesday to Idaho. So this may be my last post for a bit. I'm totally in denial about being away from Noa for so long, but I feel like we're both as ready for this as we'll get (Ben... I don't know if he's ready yet but I know he'll do fine).

2 comments:

SSP said...

jeni - this was so lovely to see - she really does love being in the water and she so completely trusts eddie!! that is great to see!! have wonderful trips....you will be fine...she will be fine... :-) Sara

Talya said...

Jeni... have wonderful trips. I'm sure it will be interesting to see how both you and Noa react to being away from each other.

I love watching the videos you post on here. It's so awesome to see her looking so sure of herself, taking off her own pants and really interacting with the world.

I'm hoping to schedule some Noa time just after July 4th when you get back from Idaho, and want to talk to you about the possibility of my extending my trip to New York a bit so I can photograph her more.... totally missing Miss Noa!

Love from Houston to all three of you!