Well, it's official, Noa's a rock star!! After long meetings at school with TEAMS of people ready to deal with the terror of Noa fighting the switch to the straw cup... Noa made the transition painlessly and without incident over her spring break, a full week and a half before we had planned to take the bottle away for good. Oh kids!
I do have a video of this but for some reason I haven't been able to post it... I'll try again later.
Noa is doing great with the straw - but she won't pick up the cup. Every once in a while she'll touch the cup. I've seen her pull it closer to her, I've seen her push it away... I've even seen her bend herself over entirely to get a sip without picking it up off the floor, but she WILL NOT pick it up. We figure we'll get there eventually and we're just so glad to be done with the bottle!
Noa has been a busy girl (and so has Mommy, thus the delay in posting this wonderful news) - she is doing much better with her walking, sometimes taking a few steps while only holding one hand. And she loves to hang out in her walker - though she hasn't quite gotten the idea that she doesn't need one of use to pull it forward in order for her to walk. But with Ben's help earlier this week, Noa walked to the playground in our building with the walker - that back - which is a very long trip for her! She has also started to play the xylophone - the big deal here is not just using the sticks to play, it's figuring out that she has to take her hand off the xylophone in order for it to sound good. In other big news is that we're starting to work on toilet training --- we know this could take a while, we've had a few very accidental successes, which for the sake of good taste I will not go into in detail. But frankly, she is a big girl and diapers don't quite contain her anymore, especially at night which is when she tends to relax and just... let it all flow. We've had some nights in which we have to change her and her sheets 3 or 4 times (we've had to buy more sheets just to keep up).
Just because I don't want to end on that lovely note - I'll also add that we've had some great reports from school of Noa actually starting to play some with her peers. Until now, other kids held very little interest. They don't follow directions well (like us grown ups who are putty in her hands). So this is a wonderful development - she is even showing patience when the playing doesn't go her way.
Oh, last note - I'm in a sign language class now which has been very cool. It's really a class for grown ups to talk to grown ups, but I figured I should just learn to be fluent. Ben and I tried tutoring - so we could learn the things that pertained more to Noa, but the school uses its own sign language (modified for the kids) and so it was just to confusing.
2 comments:
Just catching up - BUT the greatest advice my Mom ever gave me was for over night potty training. It takes a week of work from you - Hopefully it will work for Noa.
The easiest way to do this is to put Noa to bed with NO underwear, diapers, etc. Day 1&2, about 3-4 hours after she has gone to bed, pick her up (you don;t even need to wake her) and sit her on the toilet. The idea is that she will pee. About 3-4 hours later - do it again. She'll probably be awake before another shift is needed. Day 3&4 - make it one hour later. Day 5&6 one hour later, etc. You are literally training her body to hold it, AND to trust that she CAN do it. There will be a few accidents afterwords down the road, especially if she gets sick etc., but it worked like a charm for Fal. Good Luck!
Thanks for the advice She, we actually have some news on this front. Coming in an upcoming post - a similar way of thinking in that we know when she tends to do her business.
Post a Comment