Monday, August 20, 2012

I LOVE NY

 
Noa's last day of summer school was Friday, but I'm only just now getting to post these photos of her sporting her super cool 2000 World Series - Subways Series T-shirt which she wore in honor of "I Love New York Day." 

They've been having a new theme every Friday. It's a cute idea, but I have to admit that more often then not it ends up getting on my nerves - they just stuff a crumpled paper into her bag (hopefully on Monday, but sometimes as late as Wednesday) say something like "Friday is Black and White Day!" or "Animal Prints" or "Represent Another Country!" (during the Olympics). The one that really got me "Dress Like a Pirate!" The others I can understand as being part of what they're learning in school, but Pirates? What where they learning about? Theft? Kidnapping? Maritime Law? Plus it's a HOSPITAL school full of kids that are either recovering from surgery or have sensory issues or disabilities so... peg-legs, eye patches, parrots. Really?

But really I struggle with things like pirate day because at some level it's just work for me. I think for other kids it can be more fun to create these outfits, but Noa's just not there at this point. I do my best because she does really love it when people admire what she is wearing and tell her she is beautiful (who doesn't). In fact, she loves getting her haircut now because she gets a lot of compliments on it after. So long story... still kind of long (sorry) when I Love New York Day was announced as the final Friday I couldn't figure out what to do. I'd thought about just getting a cheap "I Heart NY" T shirt, but with my folks in town it just got away from me. The only things I had were T-shirts we'd been giving free by NY Hospital Medical Center Kids Unit and the Jewish Guild for the Blind/NY - neither of which were terribly compelling. 

Just as I was about to get a sharpie out and start scrawling on a shirt (Friday morning 1/2 hour before the bus) I remembered that I had a T-shirt - never worn - from when Ben and I went to the 2000 World Series. It was too small on me, so it was just sitting in a box waiting for Noa to get bigger. SO in a heart-beat Noa went from having the lamest NY t-shirt at school to having the COOLEST t-shirt dress ever!!! I was so excited about it that I think Noa got excited too - because she seemed very happy to show it off for these photos. Perhaps now the most compelling story about Noa, but it was a great day for Mommy. And a great day for Daddy too - because he'd forgotten that we'd gone to a World Series game - wow, what parenthood can do to the brain, that was a lifetime ago!

No comments: