Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Holiday Update

It seems appropriate for this holiday posting to include a photo of Noa hanging with family (in this case with me, Cousin Electra and Uncle Jamie) - but this is actually a photo from Thanksgiving - which should give you an idea of how far behind I am!

Over the holidays I got a lot of questions about our bus situation and I'm very pleased to report that we have a new bus driver - the whole thing took about a week to resolve (props to Daddy Ben who took carried a lot of that weight - literally and figuratively - since I was in the midst of finals at school).

The Office of People Transportations (my fav name for a department ever) assigned an inspector to our case and after some research - including and interview with us - the matter was resolved in what might be called a holiday miracle considering what we were up against. We'd been told it was nearly impossible to get a driver off a route. Noa's new driver is a very lovely woman who tells me to have a "blessed day" every time I see her. Her new matron is also lovely and clearly cares a lot for Noa. The two of them certainly make us feel better and Noa has not had a single incident of screaming since then which is very reassuring for us.  Dealing with a totally non-verbal child, you spend a lot of your time having to trust you gut. In this case we knew we didn't like this driver - and Noa's behavior seemed to indicate that she felt the same, but until we actually made the switch there was just no way to know if it was him or some issue that she was having with buses in general or school, or what. So that is a huge relief!

Noa had a great Christmas. We went down to "Grammy and Grampy's" in DC. Noa was great for the ride there and back - didn't even need her zuzzies (electric toothbrushes) once! We were happily suprised. Also didn't need them to sleep there (apparently she just accepted that they lived at home - we actually had them with us we just never offered and she never asked - though she did ask for them as soon as we got home).

I will update more on other events... I hope before the end of the year! Noa is off of school this week so Ben and I are trying to juggle things around so that Noa can have a great break, and we both can actually get work done. Wish us luck!

No comments: