Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween Parade

Okay, this is probably one of the crummiest videos that I've posted on this blog, but there's a reason. For the most part I use this blog to celebrate Noa's successes, and if I post about difficulties they usually involve Medicaid, or a specific behavior issue. But it's rare that I share much about Noa in relation to the bigger world around her. Partly because she really doesn't interact with the big, bad world that much yet; and partly because comparing her to other kids her age is just unfair and non-productive. But every once in a while it's good to stand back and get some perspective - if for no other reason than to recognize how much work Noa does everyday just to be able to show up at an event like this!

As proud as I am of Noa for doing the Halloween Parade, and as much as I know that Noa loves just being in the mix of chatter and excitement, it's hard to watch the other kids swarm past her. The grown-ups in our building are great and show her lots of encouragement and tell her how great she is doing, but other kids steer clear for the most part and we spend most of our time just trying to keep her in the mix of people because we know she likes that - and she really seems to get the idea that it's fun to wear something special and walk around with tons of people who are happy - but for Noa it's not about candy or getting to be a favorite character or running around with friends, it's about celebrating the fact that she can walk around the garden and people can see that she can do it. I think Noa is totally happy with that, and I don't think she has any idea that kids are running past her having a totally different holiday - but I will admit that it's sometimes hard for me to know that.

No comments: